Sunday, November 2, 2014

November - An Opportunity To Give Thanks

One of my favorite times of the year happens to be the month of November.  As the weather begins to get cold and we are blessed with a warm home, it is only natural to be thankful.  There is also nothing like the aroma of fresh fall air.  One of my favorite things to do in the fall is to hang out laundry.  It always brings back the memory of when my children were born. Michael was born in early October and when my husband came to visit us at the hospital, he had been outside cleaning up the yard.    I can still remember how fresh his clothes were. When our second son, Andrew, was born, it was the end of October. Both my husband and Michael came to the hospital and that scent filled the hospital room.  

This week as I was reading some posts on Facebook, I noticed some of my friends were beginning to write things they were thankful for. I might be a day behind, but it is never too late to start.  So, here I go:  

Day 1 - Memories - It never ceases to amaze me how much a scent can bring me right back to another time.  This afternoon, my husband went out shooting with his brother and when they returned, my husband came to me and gave me a hug and kiss. His clothes had the fresh scent of fall and it took me right back to the memory I spoke about in the beginning of this post. More importantly, he had the opportunity to go out and do something that he loves to do.    

Day 2 - My Mother - She may not be with us here on earth, but I know where she is and her memory is always here.  When you stop to think about it, she is the one that was chosen by God to be the Mother of my sisters and I. She gave us life and nurtured us everyday she was with us.  I laugh when I think of how she never enjoyed cooking, but yet, she could make us a cup of tea and it tasted so good.  She used to joke that if a home could come without a kitchen, she would have bought it.  She knew how to go out and get the perfect gift for everyone on her list at Christmas time. She loved so deeply and everyone knew how much they meant to her.  There isn't a day that goes by that my mind doesn't think of her and yet, I am so grateful that her suffering is over. I love you, Mom and am so thankful that God chose you to be my sweet Mother.  

As the month of November continues, I'll be continuing on this journey of thanksgiving.  As I started this tonight, I just began writing and before I knew it, the memory of fresh fall air came to me. It's a cherished memory and one that I will not only be thankful for, but treasure for the rest of my life.   It makes me wonder how many more treasures I will think of during this special time of the year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment